Spicy Orange Sweet Potatoes
- 4 pounds of sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about ½ of a large orange)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (from about ½ of a large orange)
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed and finely diced (If you prefer more heat, use 2 peppers.)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee (You can substitute coconut oil if you avoid dairy.)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash your sweet potatoes and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Bake the sweet potatoes for about an hour, flipping them over after 30 minutes. The potatoes are ready when a sharp knife easily pierces the potatoes.
4. Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them cool until they can be handled.
5. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled, you should be able to easily peel them with your hands.
6. Place the peeled sweet potatoes in a food processor along with all of your other ingredients and process until smooth. You will want to see tiny green flecks of jalapeno throughout the potatoes.
7. Place the mixture into an 8×8 baking dish.
8. At this point, you can refrigerate the sweet potatoes for a later time or you can place them in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes (warmed through and slightly browned around the edges). If you are planning to serve this dish after it has been stored in the refrigerator, I would recommend letting it stand at room temperature for about an hour before placing it in the oven to warm – this will ensure even heating throughout.
9. Serve alongside your favorite grilled items and enjoy!!
- Recipe by Delicious Obsessions at http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2014/06/spicy-orange-sweet-potatoes/