Pureed winter squash gives these brownies added sweetness and a fudge-like consistency, not to mention added nutrients. Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor.
¾ cup brewed coffee, hot
6 ounces bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
⅓ cup unsalted butter or non-dairy alternative
¾ cup winter squash puree- Mary used Acorn Squash
8 or 10 packets of stevia or 3/4 cup Xylitol
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour of choice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Place hot coffee, chocolate, cocoa powder and butter in a large bowl and let sit 5 minutes. Stir until smooth.
3. Stir in squash puree, sugar and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring gently until combined.
5. Place batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.