Serves 4-8, depending on the size of the ham
What you’ll need:
- A 1-to-4-pound ham
- 2 cups unsweetened apple cider
- 3/4 cups maple syrup (use as little as possible to achieve desired taste)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
How you make it:
- Place the ham in a slow cooker and cover with the cider and syrup. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Transfer the ham to a plate. Pour the liquid into a four-cup measuring container.
- Whisk the arrowroot with 1⁄2 cup of the reserved liquid on the stovetop over low heat until smooth. Increase the heat to medium-low. Whisking continuously, add the rest of the liquid a little bit at a time, until it’s fully incorporated. Keep whisking as the gravy bubbles, until it is thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Serve with the ham.
Recipe by Julie Grice.