A homemade alternative to store bought cranberry sauce with delicious hints of pineapple and orange to complement the flavor!
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Side
What you’ll need:
- 2 bags of fresh cranberries (they are usually 12 ounce bags)
- ¾ cup pineapple juice or orange juice (I recommend pineapple!)
- ½ cup of applesauce (no sugar added)
- ½ cup of water
- juice and zest of one orange
- 3-4 Tablespoons of honey or to taste (optional)
How you make it:
- Put cranberries, pineapple juice, applesauce and water in a sauce pan and and bring to a boil.
- Keep on medium heat, stirring constantly until the cranberries start to explode (about 10-15 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and pour the juice and zest over the cranberry mixture.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cool completely and store in fridge at least 4 hours but preferably overnight before serving.
- NOTE: This is not as sweet as store versions! Taste at the end of cooking. It is naturally sweet from the fruit juice and applesauce but you can add more honey or stevia to taste if needed.