Lacto-Fermented Carrot and Parsnip Pickles
What you’ll need:
- About 1lb parsnips
- About 1lb carrots
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- Water, as needed
How you make it:
- Wash parsnips and carrots well. Remove tops and cut lengthwise into small sticks. Cutting the sticks tall enough to fill jar 1-1.5in below the rim is helpful for even packing.
- Place grated ginger and red pepper flakes in the bottom of a quart sized jar. Place parsnip and carrot sticks atop ginger and pepper flakes, trying to line them up and pack them in as evenly as possible. Leave 1 inch of head space at the top of the jar.
- Make a brine of 2 cups water to 2 Tbsp of sea salt. Stir to dissolve salt as well as possible and pour over vegetables, leaving 1 inch of head space. Add more water, as needed. There is no need to add more salt.
- Plae the lid on the jar and add the airlock, if using. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 5-10 days. If you are not using an airlock, be sure to burp the jars daily to release pent-up gases.
- Once the initial fermentation period is over, and the carrots and parsnips are tangy enough to your taste, move them into cold storage.