Mashed Potato, Rutabaga and Parsnip Casserole with Caramelized Onions
Recipe by Epicurious
· 7 cups chicken broth
· 3 lbs. russet potatoes (peeled cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces)
· 1 1/2 lbs. rutabagas (peeled cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
· 1 1/4 lbs. parsnips (peeled cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces)
· 8 garlic cloves
· 1 bay leaf
· 1 tsp. dried thyme
· 3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
· 3 onions (thinly sliced)
· Butter 13 x 9×2-inch glass baking dish. Combine first 7 ingredients in large pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well. Transfer vegetables to large bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until mashed but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mashed vegetables to prepared dish.
· Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté until onions are tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spread onions evenly over mashed vegetables. (Casserole can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
· Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake casserole uncovered until heated through and top begins to crisp, about 25 minutes.