What you’ll need:
- Organic crushed tomatoes (canned is easiest)
- Italian seasoning (to taste)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (or any other cooking fat)
- Chopped Garlic (2-4 cloves to taste)
- Real salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Organic Portobello mushroom caps- cleaned and stems removed
- Raw cheese of your choice- Shredded (Italian cheeses are best- Mozzarella/Provolone)
- Any whole and healthy toppings of choice
This is a pretty free style dish you make it your own with any healthy, whole ingredients you prefer.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees or set outdoor grill to med-high heat.
- Lightly wash mushroom caps, and gently remove stems (Set aside stems for topping if desired)
- Generously coat/brush cap side of mushroom with cooking fat.
- Add desired amount of chopped garlic, salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning to stem side of mushroom, then add desired amount of tomatoes, lightly mix within the mushroom. (Be careful not to add to much, mushrooms will flatten slightly as they cook, adding too much sauce will result in undesirable overflow.)
- Add desired amount of cheese.
- Now add desired toppings.
- If cooking on a grill place directly on the grill but indirectly from fire, if cooking in the oven use a cookie sheet to protect any overflow.
- Cook until cheese is fully melted and toppings and cheese begin to brown (10-15 minutes.)
- Remove from heat, and let them rest for 5-10 minutes, Best enjoyed with a knife and fork.