What you'll need:
- 2C washed, quartered, and sliced turnips
- 1- 1.25C washed, quartered, and sliced beets
- 2Tbsp real salt
- Water, as needed
How you make it:
- Prepare turnips and beets, add them to a quart jar, alternating layers so that the red and white are evenly distributed, leaving 1-1/5 inches of head space.
- Combine salt with 2 cups of water. Pour over the vegetable, leaving .5in of head space (just covering the vegetables). weight down as needed.
- Cover jar with a lid and an airlock, if using. If you are not using an airlock be sure to "burp" the jars every day to release pent-up gases.
- Allow to ferment at a cool room temperature for 3 to 12 days, depending on preference. Longer is usually better, especially for tough root veggies.
- Transfer to cold storage.