*1 cup red lentils
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
4 teaspoons ground cumin
3 -4 dashes Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
14 ounces diced tomatoes
1. Sauté the carrots, onion, and celery in the olive oil until they start to caramelize a bit.
2. Add the garlic about a minute before the vegetables are finished sautéing.
3. Add the red lentils, and stir until mixed with the vegetables.
4. Add the stock, tomatoes and juice, cumin, and Tabasco, if using.
5. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and reduce heat to medium low.
6. Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
7. If the liquid all evaporates and the lentils are not done, add a little water to keep the simmer going.
*Must be soaked and rinsed for 24 hours before cooking. You may use green lentils or French lentils. Down to Earth has an assortment of lentils that can be used.
This is a lovely meal to eat during the cleanse and also freezes well if you double the recipe.