- 3 lbs. Boneless chuck roast
- 1 lb. peeled & cut carrots
- 1 lb. peeled & cut onions
- 1 lb. washed and cut potatoes
- 1 cup tomato paste
- ½ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh garlic
- 3 or 4 bay leaves
- 1 pint pure water
- Real salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) 3 tbsp. beef tallow/olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- (For added flavor begin recipe by searing meat at high heat in food grade beef tallow or light olive oil)
- Place beef in Dutch oven or heavy, covered non-aluminum roaster.
- Mix tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, garlic, pepper, bay leaves, and water then pour over meat.
- Cover and roast 2 hours.
- After 2 hours add potatoes, carrots and onions. Roast another 1-2 hours until meat flaky tender and the vegetables done.
- Remove meat and vegetables to serving platter and keep warm.
- Skim excess fat from remaining sauce, stir and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adjust consistency of sauce by adding a small amount of water and/or thicken to a gravy with a mixture of unbleached white flour and water. Simmer and pour over meat and vegetables.
Lake Country Premium Natural meats
Chef John Umlauf